The San Diego Natural History Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visitor Services Manager
The San Diego Natural History Museum’s mission is to interpret the natural world through research, education and exhibits; to promote understanding of the evolution and diversity of southern California and the peninsula of Baja California; and to inspire in all a respect for nature and the environment. The Museum strives to be the premier collections-based environmental education and natural history research resource in our region, and provide programs that are timely, user-friendly, and relevant to the real-life needs of the diverse populations of the San Diego-Baja California region today and tomorrow.
The Visitor Services Manager is responsible for the daily operation and administration of visitor services. Primary responsibilities include all aspects of managing the Visitor Services Leads and Visitor Services Associates, as well as reinforcing policies and procedures within the department. He/she is a key liaison for the visitor services department with accounting. Ensures the needs of all guests are met with consistent and impeccable customer service. An outgoing personality, positive attitude, and flexibility are a must. He/she will approach challenges from a practical but optimistic standpoint.
He/she will be required to work at least one weekend day each week (typically Sunday-Thursday), ensuring daily supervisory coverage with Visitor Service Leads.
- Manage visitor services staff to include training in all operations process and procedures.
- Supervise opening and closing and all daily operational aspects related to Museum’s public space.
- Oversee all visitor services scheduling, including staffing for special events.
- Coordinate and maintain signage throughout the public spaces with graphics/marketing department.
- Primary contact with special events staff.
- Coordinate closely with the Senior Director of Visitor Experience, manage special projects, and assist with events that require a visitor services presence.
- Ensures delivery of exceptional customer service and resolve visitor issues.
- Maintain strong knowledge of the POS system, daily operations, cash handling, reporting and reconciling with accounting daily register reports and daily sales logs.
- Assist Senior Director with management of the department’s annual budget including variance analysis when necessary.
- Additional duties as assigned in support of the mission of the Museum.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 3 - 5 years of customer service experience in a front-line environment and 2+ years in a supervisory capacity required.
- Experience working with POS, customer management system or other front line system is required. Experience working with Blackbaud ticketing systems is desirable.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting.
- Demonstrated management skills, including scheduling.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office suite including Excel.
- Excellent communication skills; verbal and written fluency in English. Spanish is desirable, but not required.
- Excellent customer service skills, ability to work as a team player, exercise diplomacy, and make independent decisions.
- Solid analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work under pressure to meet scheduled and unexpected deadlines.
- Leadership skills to empower, motivate and develop a collaborative and positive work environment.
If you feel you are the right fit and would be happy to be part of our team, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on 11/5/2014