The Best of Nature 2014 call for entries is now open!
Amateur as well as professional photographers are invited to submit nature photography to the Best of Nature Photography Show. Landscape, wildlife, flora, and nature-based abstract / impressionistic images will be considered. Traditional, digital, and alternative-process photographic works will be reviewed. The judges are looking for images of nature without people or major indications of their presence.
Note: If subject matter was removed, significantly altered or added to your image or other major changes other than standard color, contrast, brightness adjustments in Photoshop or other editing software, please indicate what you did in your submission email.
Dates to Remember
- Instructions for Photographers
Complete Entry Details
Dates to Remember
- Call for Entries: June 30, 2014
- Last entries accepted: September 3, 2014
- Notification of acceptance: September 12, 2014
- Receipt of accepted images:TBD
- Show dates: October 25, 2014 through February 1, 2015
- Opening reception for the show: Saturday, November 1, 11 AM–2 PM
- First Round: Panel of three prominent professional photographers
- Final Round: Abe Ordover, owner of The Ordover Gallery
- Grand Prize: $1000
- First Place: $500
- Second Place: $250
- Third Place: $150
- Six Honorable Mentions: $100 each
- People's Choice Award: $100
Instructions for Photographers
- The Best of Nature show will include approximately 70 images. The selection of images for the show will be done through a jury process.
- For accepted works, the San Diego Natural History Museum will take responsibility for the artwork while it is in the Museum gallery. The photographer is responsible for the artwork during shipping to and from the Museum.
- Submission and online payment are due by September 3, 2014 . Digital submissions and payment only.
- No refunds and no exchanges. The selection of the judges is final.
- lf your work is selected for the show, all images must be black framed and white matted.
- Please use only one email address for all correspondence regarding the juried show, preferably an email address with your name in it.
- For questions about the registration process, please call Customer Service at 877.946.7797.
- For questions about submissions after payment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All artwork in juried show will be for sale.
- The photographers will set the price for their work; 50% of each sale goes to the artist.
- A portion of sales will benefit the Museum.
- The show will be promoted through press releases distributed by the San Diego Natural History Museum to local and national media. Award-winning images will be highlighted in the promotions for the show. Submission to the show grants permission for your images to be used to promote and advertise the Best of Nature show by The Ordover Gallery and the San Diego Natural History Museum.
- Copyright remains with the photographer.
Sample of 2013 Best of Nature Winning Photos