SWOT Technology Committee Report
Internal Strengths and Weaknesses
- Technological infrastructure of new building.
- Hardware: a networked computer on every desk.
- The ability to start "fresh" with future permanent exhibits and distance learning at a time of technological advancement.
- Significant number of staff willing to adapt to technological change; leadership of the Technology Committee.
- The Museum's website.
- Lack of technological expertise; both the technology staff, and the ability of staff to use technology.
- Inadequate budget to maintain proper levels of hardware and software.
- Thin on "visionaries" for technology use and growth. Will we be constantly catching up, instead of on the leading edge?
- Lack of an integrated, sophisticated collections database.
- Lack of a master plan that supports overall museum data integration; lack of someone in authority to implement.
Main Opportunities and Threats
- Advances in technology.
- Potential for distance learning, outreach, and satellite facilities.
- San Diego as a tourist destination.
- Economic downturn, with reduced federal funding and private donations.
- Increase in cost and decrease in availability of energy.
- Ability to survive and recover from natural and social disasters.
Back to Findings
SP Home | The Process | Background | Calendar | FAQs | Findings
© 2013 San Diego Natural History Museum